If you’re considering filing for divorce, it’s important to speak with a qualified divorce lawyer in Birmingham, Alabama. They can provide guidance on the best way to go about the process and answer any questions you may have. To make sure you get the most out of your consultation, here are the top 10 questions to ask a divorce lawyer:
- What is your experience in handling cases like mine? – This question will help you gauge the lawyer’s level of expertise.
- Are there any alternative methods of resolving my case that I should consider? – This question will help ensure that you are aware of all the potential options available to you in the divorce process.
- How am I expected to pay for your services? – Knowing how much the lawyer will charge and what forms of payment they accept upfront can help manage costs and avoid any surprises down the line. Most divorce lawyers in Alabaster and across Central Alabama charge an hourly rate and require a retainer to bill their time out of. However, it is important to know what they bill and how much they require up front.
- What do I need to know regarding division of our property? – Asking this question can help you understand how property may be divided up and how this could affect your financial situation after divorce.
- How will child custody be determined? – Understanding how custody decisions are made can help provide greater peace of mind when it comes to matters involving children from a divorce.
- Is alimony or child support an option in my case? – Knowing if either is applicable in your particular circumstance can make sure everything is taken care of properly with regards to ongoing financial obligations post-divorce.
- Does my spouse need to agree with all decisions made during the process? – Being aware if both parties have to sign off on decisions can ensure fairness throughout the entire process, as well as avoiding any potential issues related to enforcement or implementation later on down the line.
- What court documents will I need to file? – Asking this question makes sure you are aware of all documents needed throughout each step of divorce proceedings so nothing is overlooked or missed out on inadvertently due to lack of knowledge or awareness ahead of time.
- How long can I expect this process to take before it is finalized? – Knowing how long it takes for a divorce case to be fully resolved can allow for better expectations setting and proper planning for associated timelines and check-ins along the way for a successful resolution later on down the road.
- Can you refer me to other professionals who could help me through this difficult time such as a financial planner or therapist? – Having access to external resources who specialize in supporting those going through a tough transition like divorce can increase one’s well being overall, reduce stress levels, and provide an additional safety net while navigating through these life-altering events.
Having answers to these questions ahead of time can help ensure that the entire process runs smoothly and that you receive the representation and outcome you deserve in your divorce case. Not all divorce lawyers in Decatur, or anywhere else in Alabama, are alike, so it is important to ask questions and find someone you feel comfortable with before you get started.
Attorney Steven A. Harris regularly blogs in the areas of family law, bankruptcy, probate, and real estate closings on this website. Mr. Harris tries to provide informative information to the public in easily digestible formats. Hopefully you enjoyed this article and feel free to supply feedback. We appreciate our readers & love to hear from you!