What Protection from Abuse Orders Can I Get in a Divorce

What are protection from abuse orders and can I get one in my divorce? A protection from abuse order is an order from the court that protects a spouse and children from an abuser. This occurs when a spouse or child has been abused or threatened. This is a way for the court to step in and take measures to ensure that the abuse does not continue.Protection from Abuse Orders in Divorce

If you are going through a contested divorce in Trussville, or anywhere else in Alabama, and are experiencing abuse, you should reach out to an experienced divorce attorney to file a protection from abuse order. This is a type of restraining order and Alabama has a statute in place to enforce the orders. You can get a protection from abuse order against, a ex spouse or current spouse, a family member, a current or former sexual partner. 

If you are going through a difficult divorce in Tuscaloosa, or anywhere in West Alabama, and are experiencing abuse, you may file a protection from abuse order with the clerk in the family court division of your county courthouse. You may either consult a Birmingham divorce attorney to help file the form with the court or you may do it on your own. When you file you need to provide evidence to show that there has been a history of abuse. It is important to be very specific when detailing the accounts of abuse. You should include names of all relevant parties and dates if you are able to. The more evidence that you are able to offer, the better chance that you will have in a court granting the order. 

With a protection from abuse order, the judge only has to hear your side of the story before granting the order. There are a number of different circumstances that a judge must take into consideration when determining whether or not to grant the order. You can seek to have the judge order the defendant to do a number of things such as: stay a certain distance away from you, you child or your home or workplace. You can also ask the judge to order the abuser to stop calling, contacting, or harassing you or your children in any way. 

Once the judge receives the order, the abuser will be given a copy of the order which will include information regarding the hearing date. The court generally sends a law enforcement officer to deliver the papers to the abuser. At the hearing the abuser will have the chance to testify as to their side of the story. Once the judge has had a chance to hear from both parties, a decision will be made. Getting a protection from abuse in your contested divorce can be tricky, but a local divorce attorney in Shelby County can help guide you through the process.

Quick Contact

Choose from the office locations above for contact details



Fill Out a Questionnaire

Get started


Make Payment